Top 5 Mold Myths Busted

When it comes to mold, everyone has the same idea: it’s a horrible thing that can be harmful. That is very true, but there are other myths out there that are not so true. While mold should be taken very seriously, here are the top 5 mold myths busted:

Top 5 Mold Myths Busted

Myth 1: Mold has been around for millions of years, all around us, and is harmless

False. Yes it is true that mold is all around us and has been a thing for millions of years, but it is not harmless. Mold has been dated as far back as the old testament as a cause for health problems. Over the years after 1970, differences in construction has resulted in the perfect environment for highly toxic mold to grow because the new buildings are air-tight, but not water-tight and mold thrives on moisture. Also over the years, as we’ve grown accustomed to mold, different fungicides have been used to prevent mold, which means, like other living things, mold changes and adapts in order to continue growing and then we change our fungicides to fight off the new molds. All this does is introduce harsh chemicals into our lives.

Myth 2: It’s just about mold

Contrary to popular belief, mold is just one of the organisms found in water-damaged buildings that cause respiratory inflammation and irritation. Along with mold there are other bacteria including MARCoNS, actinomyces, viruses, and parasites.

Myth 3: Black mold is the most dangerous

Black mold, scientifically known as  Stachybotrys chartarum (Stachy for short), turns black when using a cellulose, such as drywall, as a food source. Other toxigenic molds can be black too, or white, or green, or any other color on the wheel. Stachy gets the bad name because it produces toxins, but other mold can produce toxins as well. For example, the mold Chaetomium globosum has the same toxic capabilities as Stachy.

Myth 4: It’s only a problem when you see large amounts or smell it

That old saying “What I don’t know can’t hurt me” does not apply to mold. Even though you can’t see or smell it, doesn’t mean that there isn’t a problem. While being able to see significant amounts of mold and being able to smell it alerts you to a mold problem, mold can easily hide in places that are not visible to you, like air ducts. In these places you can’t see, the mold grows and still causes health problems.

Myth 5: The best way to get rid of mold is to kill it

Very false! Dead mold is worse than living mold. When a mold spore dies, it will disintegrate into approximately 500 fungal fragments and then disperse into the air. Toxins are attached to these spores and are still harmful when inhaled. The best way to remove mold is by calling the experts at MicroZyme Technologies today at 1-866-920-6653.

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply